Science in Public 2015
- We are very happy to announce that in 2015 the Science in Public conference will be hosted by UWE’s Science Communication Unit from 9-10th July. The PCST Network’s Postgraduate Doctoral Summer School will also be held in Bristol on 7-8th July 2015.
- In 2016 Science in Public will be travelling onwards to be hosted by the University of Kent’s Centre for the History of the Sciences.
SCIENCE IN PUBLIC – A CONFERENCE HISTORY
The first Science and the Public conference was held in 2006 at Imperial College London (programme). It was organised by Alice Bell and Sarah Davies, then PhD students at Imperial’s Science Communication group. It has since been hosted at universities throughout the UK, and has grown from a small postgraduate event into a full conference, attended by academics and practioners working across the area from the UK and beyond.
In 2012, the organising team changed the name of the conference from ‘Science and the Public’ to ‘Science in Public’ after requests from delegates for many years. This reflects changes in the field towards work on dialogue, engagement and interactive communication, and references Jane Gregory and Steven Miller’s Science in Public: Communication, Culture and Credibility (1998).
During 2014, the usual Science in Public conference was not held during the summer: instead we ran a one day workshop on ‘Environments in Public‘, held on November 3rd 2014 at the University of East Anglia.
Further information and links for all our previous conferences:
- 2014 – University of East Anglia: Environment(s) in Public? (programme).
- 2013 – University of Nottingham (programme and conference proceedings)
- 2012 – University College London (programme and abstracts)
- 2011 – University of Kingston (programme and abstracts)
- 2010 – Imperial College London (programme)
- 2009 – University of Brighton (programme)
- 2008 – University of Manchester (programme)
- 2007 – Imperial College London (programme)
- 2006 – Imperial College London (programme)